It’s been a struggle trying to get an ideal composition and render the image I have in my mind’s eye, the way I see the seed heads in nature and to incorporate their unique characteristics. It wasn’t intentional but I have ended up having the honesty on the bottom left and the poppies on the top right. The stem of the honesty cutting at a diagonal, seems to divide the study in two. This became evident after putting in colour. It does not feel balanced.
I used a water based medium to get fluid blending and back runs of colours and tone. This can’t be achieved by dry media. The inks are vibrant, just like the colours of the honesty flowers. Unfortunately different colours have different density and some colours do not run. The result has been patchy. The trials in small a sketch book version seemed different. I haven’t put any outlines on the poppy seed heads. The honesty have a dark wire like frame holding them on to the stem. I have tried not to make these appear as hard outlines in all of them. Their colour depends on the light falling on them.
I want to depict convincing papery thin cases of the honesty seeds, which are a contrast to the spherical poppy seed heads. The honesty cases are not transparent, but seem to light up if they are caught in sunlight. I have lost some of the sharp edges of the “crown” on the poppy seed head during the application of ink. The gesso on the stem of the honesty did not come out as I had expected. It has spread unevenly and not given the sharp line I need for the stem.
The vibrant magenta and green in the negative space was meant to give an impression of a plants in the backdrop and a contrast to the colours of the seed heads. Also some honesty seed cases have patches of fading magenta on them.